Search This Blog

Thursday 13 April 2023

Cher: Covered And Covers

The original title of this post was 'Cher: Covered and Uncovered'. But I changed it because 'uncovered' prompted thoughts of that video where she is prancing about on a battleship wearing just a leather jacket and a few strips of gaffer tape, and nobody wants to be thinking of that while they are having their breakfast.

Anyway, the credit (or blame) for this post rests with that Charity Chic, so often a source of inspiration for me and I am sure for many of you as well. On this occasion, he kindly tipped me off to the self-titled album by Dollar Store, a rocking little band fronted by Dean from the Mekons (about whom you might be hearing more here soon).

One of the unexpected highlights of the album was Dollar Store's cover of "Believe" by Cher. I have combined it with another (Sonny &) Cher cover that in my view improves on the original, and a couple of covers by Cher which don't but are still pretty decent. The first is a cosmic cowboy classic by Michael Murphey, the other is by someone called Bob Dylan.

"Believe" - Dollar Store

"I Got You Babe" - Etta James

"Geronimo's Cadillac" - Cher

"I Threw It All Away" - Cher

"Geronimo's Cadillac" is taken from Cher's album "Stars" which was released in 1975. In the same year she was hosting her own TV show. That had a very different vibe...

7 comments:

  1. That first video is great, you just don't see enough people dressed in identical costumes on the streets these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously not been to Huddersfield lately, George.

      Delete
  2. As you know I am a massive fan of Cher.So much so that my blog was very nearly called Cherity Chic Music!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. reminds me of that old Bob Monkhouse joke about wanting to be a comedian

      Delete
  3. "Nobody wants to be thinking of that while they are having their breakfast," says Ernie of the Battleship video, and then promptly posts a video of Cher and Raquel Welch in their skivvies. Careful now, Ernie. Some of us are at a delicate age.

    That Bowie duet is very good though. Although that is probably my favourite Bowie song, so I'm biased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can remove the video of Raquel and Cher if you would prefer

      Delete