Search This Blog

Friday 5 April 2024

No Bongoes In Heaven

I held this post back from last Friday as I didn't want to diss Jesus on his big day, but the truth is while he may have been able to undo death and turn water into wine simple syncopation was beyond him.

That at least is the opinion of unsuccessful 1980s indie popsters Jesus Couldn't Drum. JCD (as they were not known to their fans) were a duo who hailed from Watford, recorded three albums between 1984 and 1986 and then disbanded. One of them joined The Chrysanthemums. The other one didn't.

I have featured their great single "Even Roses Have Thorns" here more than once over the years. Now, thanks to eBay, I have managed to get hold of a Canadian compilation of their work that was released back in 2001. I have no idea why the Canadians thought there was a gap in the market, but I'm glad they did. And so will you be.

"Autumn Leaves" - Jesus Couldn't Drum

"I'm A Train (Alternative Version)" - Jesus Couldn't Drum

To my great surprise I found a clip of Jesus Couldn't Drum playing live in 1986 on YouTube. The fidelity is lower than low but here it is anyway. For balance I have added a song about Jesus that doesn't dwell on his shortcomings.

4 comments:

  1. Phil Collins might beg to differ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With which opinion? Is Phil claiming that Jesus can drum or that he isn't alright?

      Delete
    2. I figure Phil thinks he IS Jesus, thus...

      Delete
  2. Getting back to Jesus Couldn't Drum - they're a bit of a revelation. I'll be asking my Watford supporting brother-in-law why he's never mentioned them! Liked both those tracks esp Autumn Leaves. Bit of a wavery voice at times and a dark sentiment uttered at one point but I'd like to hear more of them.

    ReplyDelete