Search This Blog

Tuesday 21 June 2011

Bad Lux Story

I went to Luxembourg for a day's work yesterday. There was a bit of free time in my schedule, which I intended to use to track down some examples of the no doubt vibrant Luxembourg music scene to share with you today.

Unfortunately my Luxair flight was four and a half hours late setting off, which meant that I arrived there early afternoon, went to a meeting, then turned round and came home again.

To add to my frustration, it turns out that large chunks of the no doubt vibrant Luxembourg music scene were playing pretty much on my doorstep a few weeks ago - more details are available from the self-explanatory "Music from Luxembourg Live in Britain" website.

I am sure you must be as frustrated as I am. Let's try to work our way through it with some excellent funky soul from the 1970s.

"Ape Is High" - Mandrill

"House Of Wood" - Mandrill

You may not be aware that plucky Luxembourg has won the Eurovision Song Contest four times, including successive victories in 1972 and 1973. However it must be said that the home-grown content was somewhat limited. Three of the four winning singers were French and the other, Vicky Leandros, was Greek. And this rather groovy winning entry from 1965 was written by that legendary Luxembourger Serge Gainsbourg.

No comments:

Post a Comment