Search This Blog

Friday 24 July 2020

The Long Goodbye: Part 19

Part 19 of our grand tour of the EU brings us to Malta. I am dedicating this edition to my sainted mother, who was born there. She's not Maltese - my grandfather just happened to be working there at the time - but its the closest connection I have with that enchanting island (at least until I can raise the €900,000 needed to buy one of their passports).

One of the challenges with preparing a post on Malta is that is virtually impossible to find any music online from before the last 10-15 years. In other countries we have visited there are often labels dedicated to reissuing old favourites, sometimes by buying up the rights to the old state record labels like Hungaroton and Balkanoton, but there does not seem to be anything of the sort in Malta.

Which means all those of you hoping for a burst of Freddie Portelli or Joe Grech will be disappointed. However we do have a decent selection of more modern tunes, compiled once again with the help of George and Bandcamp. Let's get the show started with some singalong summery sounds. Even Old Ma Goggins will be tapping her toes to this one.  


"Xemx u Xita" - The Travellers

"The One I Love" - Bark Bark Disco

"Mur Imma Mur" - Mana Tapu

"Astroboy" - Beangrowers

1 comment:

  1. I was hoping to add the fantastically named Bark Bark Disco to my collection but on the evidence presented I think no further investigation is required.

    ReplyDelete