Search This Blog

Sunday 1 March 2020

Texas Trilogy

In my previous post I mentioned Marty Robbins, which prompted me to think that it was about time I shared his magnificent Texan trilogy.

I am sure you are all familiar with his 1959 super smasheroonie "El Paso" - in my personal opinion, one of the greatest records ever made. But you may not be aware that he recorded two follow up songs.

The first came out in 1966 and tells the story of Feleena the femme fatale. It clocks in at well over eight minutes, making it one of the few country songs eligible for The Swede's "Monday Long Song" series. The third was released ten years after that, and is essentially a song about the song.

Here they are in all their glory.

"El Paso" - Marty Robbins

"Feleena (From El Paso)" - Marty Robbins

"El Paso City" - Marty Robbins

2 comments:

  1. A slight variation to Single Song Sunday. Clever stuff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that big hairy bloke in the Grateful Dead not familiar with the somg?

    ReplyDelete